If You Don’t Eat the Cake, the Birthday Doesn’t Count

Food psychology/sociology is fascinating. It wasn’t until I started bodybuilding that I really started to challenge my relationship with food. There is no biological reason for me to eat certain food for breakfast or a cake on my birthday. (It was in February.) Imagine that? I haven’t had birthday cake in…years. Maybe that’s why I look younger at 51 than I did at 47?? Birthdays don’t count if you don’t eat the cake? Well, that’s an interesting notion to ponder, isn’t it?

There is a psychological need to eat cheat food every so often, and there is some science out there to support it, but it’s not physically necessary for me to eat cheats. (I crave pizza and lasagna, but I don’t biologically need them. Many lifters do. They go low/no carb for longer periods than I do so they need a refeed.) I have DECADES of cheat meals that changed my body’s chemistry. Up to that point when my goal to become a healthy competitor became more important than food choices, losing weight was about deprivation. Now, I am a living nutrition science experiment.

I feel good. I don’t remember the last time I was sick. I heal quickly. Sure, I’m addicted to endorphins. Oh well. Side effects of that are a lot more pleasant than using sugar, processed foods, nicotine, or alcohol.

You have NO IDEA might have some idea how many times people say to me that they want similar results without giving up the substances that keep them from getting those results.

‘Wishing’ is easier than ‘doing’, I guess.

Follow me on social media:


Filed under My Lifting Log

6 responses to “If You Don’t Eat the Cake, the Birthday Doesn’t Count

  1. I think I justify my “cheats” because I never have had a bad relationship with food. I’ve been fortunate to have good genes that I don’t think I could become overweight if I tried.. however, that doesn’t mean I am any more healthy than the overweight person who eats clean 90% of the time and cheats the other 10% like me. I juts justify it because I know it’s not really going to affect me physically. Well, except since I majorly cleaned up my diet, I do suffer a bit when I enjoy those indulgences..

    • Huh? Unless you’re genetically not human, I’m pretty sure sugar and alcohol will affect your brain,organs, and metabolism about the same as the rest of us. There are other things that I know are important to you – athletic performance, recovery, muscle growth – it’s no accident that I’m growing muscle naturally at my age. Homework. I have a few good genes, but not that many. And I’ve never been an athlete.

  2. I read once about a trainer who said they had a client who asked “How can I lose weight without changing my diet or exercising?”

  3. This is such an interesting concept. I have a birthday coming up in a few months. Maybe I’ll experiment with skipping the cake and ice cream.

  4. The psychological connection that we have with food is astonishing. Companies are also capitalizing on this and manufacturing food that changes the response in our brains to make us crave more, scary right? The more I learn, the more horrified I am…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *